Sunday, October 12, 2014

Blog Post #8

       Randy Pausch was a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University. He was diagnosed with cancer in September 2006 and given a devastating prognosis of three to six months to live. However, he did not let this illness affect his vibrant personality. On September 18, 2007 he gave an inspiration lecture titled " The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". During the lecture he gave advice on teaching and learning.
       Mr. Pausch provided motivational encouragment about learning. He stated that learning anything is possible and that we should always dream big. He encouraged me to never loose sight of my goals and that inspiration is a powerful tool. The first step he advocated in the learning process is to make sure you have the fundamentals down. This is essential because solid fundamentals help make the learning process smoother. He gave an example by explaining how his football coach didn't bring a ball to practice. He realized that his coach was trying to ensure that the team was fundamentally sound before moving on to more complex drills. Furthermore, he also gave valuable advice on experience. Randy Pausch said, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". This powerful quote means that we learn from not obtaining things more than we learn from obtaining something the first time. This is because we learn from our mistakes by problem solving until we find the correct solution.
       Mr. Pausch also gave valuable advice on teaching. He stated there is no better way to help students achieve their childhood dream than teaching. He realized the role that teachers play in their students' lives. This is critical that every teacher realize this. As a future educator I will always be a motivator and life coach to my students. I will help them achieve their goals by pushing them to never quit. Moreover, Mr. Paush taught me to never set the bar because you do the students a disservice. This is vital because you should also push your students to achieve more even when their work is good. Their is no barometer for success. We can always do better than before. These are lifelong lessons I will apply to my life and pass along to my future students.




picture of Randy Pausch

2 comments:

  1. Justin,
    I thought that Randy Pausch was inspirational as well. I, too, discussed the importance of fundamentals in my blog post about his lecture. It really stuck out in my mind, because I do want to be a teacher and one cannot help children further their education if they do not build a solid foundation first. I enjoyed you adding the quote about experience, and I do think that part of a teacher's job is showing children how to learn from their mistakes. I think it ties in well with your next paragraph to push students to never give up. Motivation is key in teaching young students. One thing, however, lose is spelled with only one O (in your second paragraph). Overall, great post with good points!
    Have a good week,
    Ellen Dunn

    ReplyDelete